- Have a consultation with a professional licensed Cosmetologist.
- Shampoo the hair weekly or biweekly using lukewarm water, use shampoos and conditioners formulated for natural hair.
- To properly shampoo the hair, thread your fingers through the hair and massage the scalp clean. Once the hair is lathered, stretch the shampoo lather through the hair ends, this keeps the hair from tangling. (Note: never massage the hair in a circular motion or use vigorous motion, it tends to tangle and matt the hair).
- After shampooing the hair, towel dry, then use a detangling conditioner to soften and for better managing when combing.
- Comb natural hair wet with a large tooth comb, starting from the ends and working up the hair shaft.
- For a tangle-free and painless comb-out you need to comb small sections, then loosely 2-strand twist each section. The divided sections help the hair air dry soft and loose and make it easy to blow-dry the hair with a blow-dryer and nozzle comb attachment.